Hot Bite: Tippecanoe and the Barbee Chain

By Sean Ostruszka, Social Media Liaison

Throughout the season, will check in with guides and anglers around the country to see where the bite is on fire. Hence the name of the section: Hot Bite. If there is a hot bite on the waters you fish, contact Sean Ostruszka at

It’s a little to early to establish which of the Wisconsin lakes are really going yet. So we checked in with guide Mike Hulbert in northern Indiana, who has been tearing up the fish on Lake Tippecanoe and the Barbee Chain.

“We’re getting at least three good opportunities a day,” Hulbert said. “Our best day we boated five, with the biggest going 47 3/4.”

So what is the bite? Suspended fish.

The shad have schooled up in 25-40 feet of water off deep breaks, and the muskies are right behind them. To target these fish, Hulbert locates deep breaks and uses his electronics to make sure there are schools of baitfish nearby. Then he has his clients toss out a one-two combo of swimbaits and soft plastics, such as Musky Innovations Bulldawgs, Chaos Tackle Medussas, Storm Kickin’ Minnows and Hulbert’s Shadillac.

“I’d say 80 percent of the fish are coming out in open water around shad,” Hulbert said. “The other 20 percent are coming right on the deep break lines.”

To schedule a trip with Hulbert, visit, email or call (419) 553-6570.

Jim Saric

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.


The Subtle Differences of Twin-Tens

By Sue Saric | January 8, 2010

By Steve Heiting:  Since the Double Cowgirl exploded on the scene there have been thousands of giant muskies caught on…


Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Layout 1


Subscribe & Save

Give a Gift | Subscribe Services